Thursday, October 28, 2010

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky - First Impressions

I need to get some photos off my camera, so expect those later. :)

Dragon Quest IX -- and couldn't they have left it as Dragon Warriors, really?-- is so far very awesome. It arrived on Tuesday to my apartment, where I have proceeded to keep turning it on right after I have turned it off. I.E., it is the reason you haven't heard from me until now.

The character creation system is awesome because it has a hair-style that looks just like mine (I.E. Rikku from FFX hair, except theirs is without the braids). Therefore, my little avatar, Seira, looks just like me! Your job as a Celestrian is to help people so that you can go back home. I love this system because it's just fun and new and novel and makes me happy. Sometimes you get a reward for your good deed and sometimes you don't, but since I'm supposed to be sort of holy, I'm not exactly digging for gifts now, am I? So far, I have surrounded myself with the little characters that I've written for before (see bio: am writer) as my party, which is sort of amusing, but means I can't tell you how the multiplayer action is. If only I lived in Japan, where they have Dragon Quest parties! <3

Story has been pretty good so far. No one in your party speaks because they are generated by you (though theoretically, Patty at the Questers' Rest Inn calls them up from the back). This worked for me because I was basically making up their stories myself as we went along, but other people might find it troublesome. I've really connected so far with the stories of the people in the world, my Protectorate as a Celestrian, though, and I really want them all to do well. This is good, considering I need them happy as a Celestrian anyway, and I think it's part of a good game to make me feel the way the character should. Though, the other Celestrians do have a point-- some of these mortals are really ungrateful jerks! And the people at Angel's Falls have a really low opinion of outsiders, which is what you are when you officially become mortal in the game. BAH! And I was your Protector, ingrates!

Still trying to figure out if my thief is ever going to be able to open locked doors and chests, like in previous Dragon Warriors-- excuse me, Quest-- games. Hoping that will be so.

The game graphics are gorgeous. You can use either buttons or touch screen to move around. I chose the buttons, unlike my usual choice of the touch screen, because the touch screen is a bit iffy. Also, using buttons with Dragon Warriors/Quest makes me feel nostalgic.

I might post again later, but I have classes soon, so, so long for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment