Friday, June 17, 2011

F.E.A.R. Sale on Steam and Books

Either Steam needs to stop having deals (nopleaseno) or I need to stop hearing that they've been having deals.

In related news, Steam is having a sale on the F.E.A.R. games, which I have actually had a hankering for since they came out. (I have a thing about being frightened in video games... I want it to happen.) They are only $9.99 for the entire collection. I will have them. I will play them. Hopefully, I will love them.

Since when am I turning into an FPS girl?

To change the subject, though I graduated college in May, I'll still be taking a class come fall. More particularly, an independent study with my favorite professor on storytelling through video games. She assigned two books to read over the summer - The Game Design Reader: A Rules of Play Anthology and First Person: New Media as Story, Performance, and Game. I only have the first book so far. I'm on page 49 in a 900+ page book, but it's just excellent. I often require something to structure the way that I think about things, and The Game Design Reader does just that by asking questions like, why do we enjoy video games? What influences the way they're made? How do players change games after they've been released? And I haven't even gotten into the material that they're actually anthologizing yet.... So, if anyone is interested, I can safely say that The Game Design Reader, at the very least, is a very good book, or so it seems from the first 49 pages. We'll see if that keeps up when I have to read articles that have Byzantine language structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment