Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Semi-Annual MMO Round-Up

Sadly, my lovely computer Seraphim died not too long after my last post. This meant that I was without gaming PC while I tried to figure out if I could a) fix Seraphim without too much muss or fuss, or b) find a decent new computer to buy.

I still have Seraphim kicking around, waiting for me to find the money and energy to fix the hard drive issues, but I now have a lovely new 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive laptop which I decided to name Garuda.

This of course means that I am now obligated to play only games I already have or have already pre-ordered (Bravely Default!), and check out Free-to-Play MMOs since I can't afford a subscription to FFXIV until I've paid myself back for my new laptop.

Thus begins my semi-annual MMO roundup!

The Neverwinter MMO: Somewhat boring. Though the story seemed interesting enough, if incredibly melodramatic, the player completely and totally lacking the desire to explore in an MMO seems like a fatal flaw.

Rift: Interesting, some very good concepts, but the starting areas at the very least were very generic. They were bleak, due to being wartorn, and visually, the game failed to appeal to me. I suspect that other areas are better, but it's tough to slog through hours of boring scenery, ye standard undead, ye standard savior (risen from the dead, if I'm remember correctly, as in, let's see, Elder Scrolls Online, Kingdoms of Amalur, and probably numerous others).

World of Warcraft: Holy WoW. You see what I did there? Ha. Haha. Ha. But really, started as a Goblin. Figured, oh hey, I'll play for a few hours. MORE THAN A FEW HOURS LATER. I only played four hours or so of the other two, but with WoW, I completed the entire Goblin starter questline and am currently in Orgrimmar. I've stopped there for a bit, since Orgrimmar is so confusing to navigate, and also I fear for my wallet since eventually it will stop being free to play. But WoW is a blast, completely worth the 5 million a day that the company nets. I do prefer FFXIV, but I think that's because Final Fantasy IS my childhood, my teenagerdom, and likely my future.

I'm probably going renew my FFXIV subscription next month, so watch out for that. In the meantime, I'll have some Far Cry 3 and Bravely Default upcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment