Thursday, May 5, 2011

Portal Review

I think I've discovered what my issue is with PC gaming. It's that I haven't been playing the right freaking games. Fable and Sims 2 have been my favorites for PC gaming, with some Sims 3 thrown in. I never really got attached to Sims 3, though, probably because there's no storytelling element available in it, really. Though, it's better for Legacy-players.

I digress.

Anyway, I remember the days of GTA and Doom. I remember them fondly and well. I remember loving them. I remember Loom as well, and how freaking awesome that game was. (If you haven't played it, go and Google and download. Now.)

GTA and Doom are my kind of PC games. I should have realized this earlier. By this I mean, first person freaking shooters or games where you complete missions and blow shit up.


This brings me to the purpose of this post. So, I was playing Portal for the first time ever last night. I know. I'm a bad gamer. I already know the main joke that the game spawned, so get off my back! I desperately adore this game. It's first person and creepy-awesome. The graphics are excellent, and the game-- I don't know, it just freaked me out, but that might have been due to playing at midnight with all the lights off because I was supposed to be going to bed. Whenever the voice instructing me stuttered, I started to wonder if something was going to kill me. And I hated getting into elevators, because I expected the door to open and reveal something awful. I have to buy this game now. Thank gawd for Steam.

Portal is really fun. A lot of puzzle-solving and logic, never too hard but never too easy. Good physics engine. And the promise of cake. (Even though the cake is a... never mind.) And hey, ever once and a while, when you see yourself through portals, you notice that you're playing as a woman. That's just so awesome-- reminds me of Samus Aran from Metroid.

I can't wait for the chance to play this game more, I adore it so. Three cheers for Valve!

No comments:

Post a Comment