Monday, April 11, 2011

[Review] Fire Emblem: Rekka No Ken

Life sucks. I keep getting killed in an arena in Fire Emblem. (Rekka no Ken, not that Shadow Dragon one for DS.) It's my own fault, because I didn't abort fast enough, but this is the third time and I really wish I could save game mid-mission, because this is annoying. Stupid pirates.


Speaking of Fire Emblem, in terms of feminist gaming? Fire Emblem is a win. The women are strong and epic. For those not in the know, Fire Emblem, or Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken (Sword of Flame) in Japan, came out in 2003 for GameBoy Advance. There are three main characters, one woman-- Lyn-- and two men. In Lyn's Story, you are a tactician accompanying Lyn to her grandfather's to attempt to gain her rightful inheritance. Lyn is presented as a strong, capable woman who never allows men to take advantage of her. Rape is a constant threat in the game from brigands attacking Lyn's party. However, Lyn's strength enables her to save herself and her entire party from harm. She is even judged worthy by an epic sword of awesome, the Mani Katti -- no, no manicotti jokes. I've already made them. You don't need to. Fire Emblem, similar to Final Fantasy X-2, which came out in the same year, has homosexual undertones. But unlike with FFX-2, these undertones are largely between the men. (Fangirlssayyay!) The dialogue between two characters, Heath and Legault, is indicative of this:

Heath: I’m being hunted by my homeland. There’s a price on my head. Being close to me isn’t like lying in a bed of roses.
Legault: The same is true of me as well. Many of the Black Fang would see me dead if they could. Look, why don’t we help each other out? Lend a hand dealing with our respective foes?
Heath: My enemy is the strongest army division on the continent. No matter how you look at it, I’d say you’re getting the short end of the stick. Why would you agree to do all that for me?
Legault: Hm? Must be this thing called “love,” you know? Where are you going? I’m joking!! Get back here.
Heath: ......
Legault: Just let it go, all right? Come on, I like you. Even on the run, you’re true to your principles. You’re recklessly honest. That’s from someone who simply cannot do that...
Heath: ......
Legault: Friendship between fugitives... What do you say?
Heath: You’re one weird guy…

I think it's the "bed of roses" line that made the fangirls squeal, but I personally find the "I like you" line rather charming.

None of the women have revealing clothing; neither do any of the men. They never talk about romance when they talk to each other, which is nice, because there's a war going on here. Everyone is actually dressed in armor or clothing appropriate to their class or race. All of these things make Fire Emblem one of the most sexually egalitarian JRPGs out there.

Fire Emblem = win. Once I've finished my replay, I'm going to try to get a hold of Shadow Dragon and see if it's half as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment