Tuesday, November 15, 2011

[Skyrim] Stormcloaks or Imperials: How to Choose?


Skyrim came out on 11/11/11 and I haven't done much besides play it since. This is likely the same with every person who bought it on release date or shortly thereafter-- though occasional internet breaks to talk about Skyrim and research Skyrim have enabled me to write this post today, which is largely spoiler-free, for the record.

Anyone who has played even a little or read a description of the game knows that the country of Skyrim is torn between whether their allegiance should be to the Empire first or their country first. Essentially, Stormcloaks (Skyrim) or Imperials (Empire). And the player has to choose a side.

And I can't.

The dragon who attacked Helgen, staying Ulfric's execution.
The Stormcloaks are the rebels, and I have a thing for revolutions, rebellions, and the people who take part in them. It's a strong lure for me, to support them. But I am a Dunmer. The Stormcloaks' purpose is to create a strong national, and most-importantly, Nordic, identity. The seat of the Stormcloaks is in Windhelm, and if that city is any indication of what life will be like under Stormcloak rule, I'm afraid. The Argonians are exiled to the docks and the Dunmer are confined to the Gray Quarter, where Nords harass them in their own homes, trying to drive them out. When one of the Dunmer tried to get Ulfric Stormcloak to see the squalor the Dunmer are forced to live in, Ulfric refused.

The Imperials represent the status quo. The problem is that the status is not... quo. The Aldmeri Dominion is a real threat and the Imperials have been forced to agree to restrict the worship of Talos to keep the peace with them. The Aldmeri Dominion are elves, of which I am one, and neither the Empire nor the Nords think much of elves at the moment. The Dunmer aren't part of the Aldmeri Dominion, so at least that's a plus. If I support the Imperials, am I supporting the Aldmeri Dominion too, and the restriction of people's right to worship? Will my support keep the Aldmeri off everyone's backs or could it even let us overthrow the Aldmeri, given that I'm Dragonborn? Having my support might be the push the Empire needs. Even so, I don't want to keep Skyrim from separating from the Empire if that's what they want. I don't think that's right. However, if my support could overthrow the Aldmeri Dominion, Skyrim might not want to separate from the Empire. The Imperials are just as racist-- more correctly, speciest-- as the Nords, for that matter, as I learned in Oblivion. Most think Nords and Orcs are illiterate brutes, Dunmer and Argonians are sneaky killers, and the Bosmer and Altmer are stuck up elitest jerks. And here's the kicker. They're right. The stereotypes are true in the Elder Scrolls games-- and that's on the head of Bethesda. At least the Imperials are less racist than the Nords, though everyone hates the Dunmer.

Whiterun. Ulfric will kill and replace the Jarl here if I join him.
If I do support the Imperials, will that even stop the rebellion? I don't think it will, not forever, since the issues won't go away unless I can get the Aldmeri Dominion to back off. It will probably just delay it until as viable a candidate as Ulfric Stormcloak appears again-- and we will have to kill him for the Stormcloak Rebellion to end, even temporarily. Will supporting the Imperials allow the worship of Talos to continue even if we get rid of the Aldmeri Dominion? At least one book, The Talos Secret, says that the Empire would have outlawed the worship regardless. That was just one person's opinion, though, and they could have been blowing smoke.

If I support the Stormcloaks, will that solve the problem, or exacerbate it? If the Aldmeri Dominion is powerful enough to form a threat to the entire Empire, how could Skyrim, alone, stand a chance? And would the Aldmeri view the separation and worship of Talos as an affront to them and attack? But maybe Skyrim would stand a chance against them if they had the Dragonborn, the Greybeards, and Ulfric Stormcloak, who can also Shout, on the same side.

But even if that's true, what would Skyrim be like under Stormcloak rule? Would the entire country become Windhelm?

At the moment, I'm leaning toward supporting the Imperials, simply because I'm terrified that the Nords will commit genocide if I support Ulfric and win the war for the Stormcloaks. But I have Stormcloak friends and I don't want to let them down, so I'm trying to avoid making a decision for as long as possible. Maybe I'll find new information and that new information will let me make a decision.

So pretty, but so much political crap.
Civil war is messy, and it's breaking my little gaming heart. And how awesome is Bethesda that this decision is causing me so much trouble?

What decision will you make?

-- 16 hours in

4 comments:

  1. I support the Imperials, in my eyes the only reason they agreed to ban Talos is so that they can reunite the Empire and build up a stronger force against the Dominion. They aren't happy with banning Talos at all, but they've had to do it so that they can build a resistance, Ulfric doesn't understand this, and his path would ultimately lead to the destruction of Skyrim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also supported the Imperials... Actually completed the civil war quest line.... Don't seem to make a difference though... You can still ask questions like "What will it take to end the war?" to a few people so... I dunno... Maybe it makes a difference later on

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that you've put so much thought into this. I've always played a Nord (as my primary character anyway) in previous Elder Scrolls installments so Skyrim's a bit of a homecoming for the Moonbow tribe. I must confess, that I also have pondered the implications of various races joining the Legion/Stormcloaks.

    Nords obviously can go either way (it is a civil war after all), though personally I rather bonded with Ralof and his family. Ofcourse, I've nothing against Hadvar who seems like a decent fellow, and can see folk taking to him as well.
    In addition, the idea of joining a rebel movement, not initially for ideological reasons, but because you're simply at the wrong place at the wrong time, has held a appeal to me since I was a kid.

    Altmer and Bosmer would seem to have an inclination to side with the Empire in order to honor the treaty, not to mention the Nord bias against Elves. Of course, the Empire and Skyrim becoming embroiled in a quagmire might be the best result for the Dominion.

    The Redgard has plenty of reason to hate the Elves after the Dominion invasion of Hammerfell, not to mention feel betrayed by the Empire, they would likely sympathize heavily with the Stormcloaks. Though they have suffered from Nordic attacks in the past, their recent grief have been at the hands of the Empire and Dominion. As many of them are sellswords, they could likely be found fighting for either side.

    The Bretons and Imperials are both likely to side with the Legion. Both have a interest in preserving the waning Empire. High Rock has been invaded by the Nords in the past, and without recent conflicts with the Empire they probably have more reason to fear a free Skyrim. Any Breton or Imperials siding with the rebels are exceptions that would prove the rule.

    The Argonian and Khajiit beast races are likely to have little inclination to support either side, except as mercenaries. Both the Black Marsh and Elsweyr seceded from the Empire and thus has little reason to promote its strength by siding with the Legion. On the other hand, they have little reason to support the Stormcloaks who desire to send them back to their homelands. Not to mention the two Khajiit nations are currently client states of the Dominion.

    The Orsimer (Orcs) have had a strong affinity for the Legion since being granted Imperial citizenship. They have had a vested interest in its preservation as the weakening of the Empire led to the sacking of their homeland. The Legion also helped Orc refugees find a new home in Skyrim. Still they have their share of mercs.

    The Dunmer are, as you say, almost universally despised. They have little love for the Empire, but the Nords (along with the Argonians) have been their traditional enemies in recent years. Windhelm as you say, has taken in refugees, but resents their presence because they do not aid the Stormcloaks, as it "is not our fight" as the refugees put it. That summarizes the Dark Elf stance on the matter. However, an individual Dunmer might join the Legion with the hope of 'liberating" their brethren from Stormcloak oppression. On the other hand, if the Stormcloaks resent the Dunmer for not helping, one instrumental in the war again the Empire might do wonders to ease racial tensions.

    Also, while I agree that a free Skyrim might be vulnerable to the Aldmeri Dominion, the Nords have driven out the Elves before, and do have the home field advantage. I can't imagine a Dominion invasion being a quick and painless affair for the Elves, as examples from our own history would indicate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sided with the Legion because

    SPOILER




    Ulfriks a Douche

    ReplyDelete