Sunday, September 4, 2016

A Typical MMO Gaming Session

I haven't been posting on here much, in between school work, regular work, and trying to squeeze in time for gaming and writing. However, I've been playing a ton of Elder Scrolls Online lately and was searching for a topic, finding no posts about it whatsoever. My question was this: What does your typical MMO gaming session look like?

Maybe this has to do with my long-held fascination with organization, but I think that it originates from the same drive min-maxers have to get the most out of their time and their character. (It has also led to me developing a book of spreadsheets devoted to quest tracking, researching, hunting, looting, and delving: I am a firm believer in tracking information.)

My typical weekend gaming session is thus: Log in to my alt Riade Wolfrider, who is a crafting alt; choose new traits to research in her three areas of Woodworking, Blacksmithing, and Carpentry. I'll update my spreadsheets with my new choices, then swing by the stables to develop my riding skill, then log out.

Next, I'll probably switch immediately to my main character Keah and choose a quest to work on if I'm not in the city. If I am in the city, I'll spend a few minutes deconstructing equipment too high level for Riade, and go to the Outlaw's Refuge for fencing my stolen goods and banking, then swing by the stables before fast traveling out. I'll spend anywhere between 1/2 an hour to 3-4 hours on Keah, then log out. I might log back in sporadically for 30 minute play times.

If I've gotten a ton of recipes and glyphs, I'll log in to my enchanting alt, Lyn Sparrowheart, and deconstruct, read the recipe, then log out. By the end of the day, I'll usually log in for a couple minutes to Riade to switch what she's researching if I know the timer will be up and I can reassign.

Inventory/resource management probably takes about half an hour for me, and then I'll usually spend another half an hour to-- more likely-- an hour or more with Keah on questing. If I can pull myself away from her, I'll work on leveling up an alt, usually Riade.

Gaming sessions during the week are more likely to just be upkeep: researching armor/weapon traits and riding skill on as many characters as I can, then logging out. I might slip in a quest here or there depending on my schedule and how attached I am to fixing dinner that night.

I wonder what other players sessions look like. Do you spend a lot of time in inventory/resource? Questing? Raiding? Delving? Crafting?

No comments:

Post a Comment