Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Gaming on the Cheap: Episode 3? Episode 4?

The upgrade is complete. Yesterday, October 25th, I replaced the power supply and added a dedicated graphics card (GeForce GTX 260) into my new computer.

I did not take pictures, because the process was nerve-wracking like you would not believe. I was terrified I was going to wreck something, but fortunately, I did not and all appears to be well.

The power supply that I replaced it with was a 550w Cooler Master PSU. It doesn't seem to be as quiet as my previous one, but it's still not a loud power supply, exactly, so that's okay. Installation was easy once I managed to get the various cords from the previous power supply out of the motherboard-- the 20-pin was particularly hard to get out and required some force. There are far too many bulky cords with the new PSU-- it was hard to get them all situated right so that I could shut the case. However, they are probably useful for something, I assume, so I suppose I shouldn't gripe about it. I used this link to walk me through it, though I needed some outside help on HP computer design and how there's a tab in the upper left corner around the power supply that needs to be pushed to release it.

My graphics card is, as stated, a GeForce GTX 260. Installation was fairly simple (unscrew a panel, insert A into B, screw into place, done), but more nerve-wracking than the power supply installation, simply because at that point it was hard to maneuver around all of the wires. Additionally, it didn't occur to me to disable the built-in graphics card first, so I got a black screen. I had to take out the card, disable the built-in graphics card, reinsert the new card, and then go. After that, I installed the software and then everything was good. I still have to figure out how to stop the built-in graphics card from popping up messages even though it's disabled, though.... I used this link to walk me through installation, as well as some frantic Googling when I couldn't figure something out.

So, just because this was a lot of work for a newbie, meet my new computer! (Yes, I'm a geek and I'm photographing... and naming... my new computer.)

Seraphim, part of the Cult of Cthulhu workgroup of computers along with Leviathan, my previous desktop, and Hyacinth, my Acer Aspire One netbook. (I also have an expansion drive which I have named Marvin. Shut up. Since when is a geek something to be ashamed of? Though perhaps this ventures into nerd territory.)

Oh, and just for extras, these post-its are what occur when one is frantically trying to keep track of rumors in Oblivion. *headdesk* And come 11/11/11, I fully plan to exchange these post-its for new ones. Better ones. Skyrim related ones. Perhaps I will make them snow-themed....

Glee. You can find the specs for Skyrim on PC on Bethesda's blog. The Unofficial "Will My Computer Run Skyrim?" Discussion is pretty good if you're planning an upgrade, by the by, and was one of the things I used as a reference while choosing my graphics card. If you are planning on upgrade, remember the two important things: what graphics card slots you have on your motherboard and what wattage the graphics card requires-- and is your power supply has high enough wattage.

No comments:

Post a Comment